verb (shines, shining, shined or shone, shined or shone)
- brightness, Brightness from a source of light.
- brightness, Brightness from reflected light.
- excellence, Excellence in quality or appearance.
- shoeshine, Shoeshine.
- sunshine, Sunshine.
- (slang) moonshine, Moonshine.
- (cricket) The amount of shininess on a cricket ball, or on each side of the ball.
Etymology: scinan, scÄnan, from Germanic. Cognate with Dutch schijnen, German scheinen, Swedish skina.
- (intransitive) To emit light.
- (intransitive) To reflect light.
- (intransitive) To distinguish oneself; to excel.
- (intransitive) To be immediately apparent.
- (transitive) To polish (something).
- (context, transitive, cricket) To polish a cricket ball using saliva and one"s clothing.
- (transitive) (ergative) To create light with a flashlight, lamp, torch, etc.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of shine