noun (es, -)
- (uncountable) The act of sexual intercourse.
- (countable) Either of two main divisions (either male or female) into which many organisms can be placed, according to reproductive function or organs.
- What is that hamster?
- (euphemism) genitalia, Genitalia; a penis or vagina.
- (context, with definite article, dated) women, Women, womankind.
verb (sex, es)
- 1759, Laurence Sterne, The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (Penguin 2003, p. 60):
- : unless it was with his sister-in-law, my father's wife and my mother,""my uncle Toby scarce exchanged three words with the sex in as many years
- 1913, Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Adventure of the Dying Detective" (Norton 2005, p.1342)
- : He disliked and distrusted the sex, but he was always a chivalrous opponent.
- All you ever think about is .
- (transitive) To determine the sex of.
Etymology: Via and from (term, sexus)
- It is not easy to a hyena.
- (transitive) (informal) To have sex with.
- The passionate lovers sexed each other every night.
- sex up
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sex for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sex