- (grammar) A grammatically complete series of words consisting of a subject and predicate, even if one or the other is implied, and typically beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop.
verb (sentences, sentencing, sentenced)
- The children were made to construct sentences consisting of nouns and verbs from the list on the chalkboard.
- The decision of a jury; a verdict.
- The jury returned a of guilt in the first charge, but innocence in the second.
- An unfavorable sentence(2): a conviction.
- The prisoner was scheduled for execution as all appeals of his had been denied.
- The punishment imposed on a person convicted of a crime.
- The judge declared a of death by hanging for the infamous cattle rustler.
- To declare a sentence on a convicted person.
- The judge sentenced the embezzler to ten years in prison, along with a hefty fine.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sentence for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sentence