noun (plural seasons)
- Each of the four divisions of a year: spring, summer, autumn and winter.
- A part of a year when something particular happens: mating season, rainy season, football season.
- (Obsolete) that which gives relish
Etymology: From w:Old English language, Old English sesoun, w:French language, French saison, (meaning properly, the sowing time), from w:Latin, Latin satio (meaning a sowing, a planting), from serere, satum, (to sow, plant); akin to English sow, (meaning to scatter, as seed).
- You lack the season of all natures, sleep. w:Shakespeare, Shakespeare
- (cricket) the period over which a series of test matches are played
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for season for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of season