- (colour) a bright red, slightly orange, color, colour.
- <table><tr><td>scarlet colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- BE0032" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- a scarlet-coloured cloth.
Etymology: :old French escalate, meaning scarlet cloth. If you go further you will discover that scarlet comes from (Pers.) saqirlat "a kind of rich cloth," variant of siqillat "scarlet cloth, rich cloth," of unknown origin (Arabic siqillat "fine cloth" probably is ult. from Persian).
- (colour) of a bright red colour.
- sinful or whorish (a scarlet woman).
- (slang) (Ireland) embarrassed
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for scarlet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of scarlet