noun (sanctuar, ies)
- A place of safety, refuge or protection.
- My car is a , where none can disturb me except for people who cut me off.
- An area set aside for protection.
- The bird has strict restrictions on visitors so the birds aren't disturbed.
- A state of being protected, asylum.
- The government granted to the defector, protecting him from his former government.
- The consecrated (or sacred) area of a church or temple around its tabernacle or altar.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sanctuary for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sanctuary