verb (rues, ruing or rueing, rued)
- (archaic) repentance, Repentance, regret.
- (archaic) pity, Pity, compassion.
- (obsolete) (transitive) To make (someone) repent of sin or regret some past action.
- (obsolete) (transitive) To make (someone) feel sorrow or pity.
- (transitive) To repent or regret (some past action); to wish a past action undone.
- I rued the day I crossed paths with her.
- (archaic) (intransitive) To feel compassion or pity.
- Late C14: Madame, reweth upon my peynes smerte " Geoffrey Chaucer, "The Franklin's Tale", Canterbury Tales
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rue for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of rue