Etymology: roulette, roulette, little wheel
- (uncountable) A game of chance, in which a small ball is made to move round rapidly on a circle divided off into numbered red and black spaces, the one on which it stops indicating the result of a variety of wagers permitted by the game.
- (countable) A small toothed wheel used by engravers to roll over a plate in order to produce rows of dots.
- (countable) A similar wheel used to roughen the surface of a plate, as in making alterations in a mezzotint.
- (countable) (geometry) The locus of a point on a plane curve that rolls without slipping along another fixed plane curve.
- (stamp-collecting) any of the small incisions on a sheet of stamps, used as an alternative to perforations.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for roulette for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of roulette