- A long, loud, deep shout made with the mouth wide open.
- The cry of the lion.
- The deep cry of the bull.
- The sound of a motorbike or a similar engine.
- A show of strength or character.
Etymology: Old English rarian, rÄrian, from Germanic. Cognate with German ríhren.
- To make a loud, deep cry, especially from pain, anger, or other strong emotion.
- Of animals (especially the lion), to make a loud deep noise.
- Generally, of inanimate objects etc., to make a loud resounding noise.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for roar for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of roar