- A sharp or witty reply, or one which turns an argument against its originator.
- (chemistry) A flask with a rounded base and a long neck that is bent down and taper, tapered, used to heat a liquid for distillation.
- 1893, A large curved was boiling furiously in the bluish flame of a Bunsen burner, and the distilled drops were condensing into a two-litre measure. " Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Naval Treaty" (Norton 2005, p.670)
- A container in which material is subjected to high temperature, temperatures as part of an industrial manufacturing process, especially during the smelt, smelting and forge, forging of metal.
Etymology: Latin retorquere 'twist back'.
- To say something sharp or witty in answer to a remark or accusation.
- To make a remark which reverses an argument upon its originator.
- To heat in a retort.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for retort for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of retort