noun (plural: retires)
- (rare) The act of retiring, or the state of being retired; also, a place to which one retires.
verb (retires, retiring, retired)
- His is by a lake.
- (dated) A call sounded on a bugle, announcing to skirmishers that they are to retire, or fall back.
- At the , the cavalry fell back.'''
- (transitive) To withdraw; to take away; -- sometimes used reflexively.
Etymology: From Middle French retirer, draw back, from prefix re-, back, + verb tirer, draw or pull.
- He retired himself from the party.
- (transitive) To withdraw from circulation, or from the market; to take up and pay; as, to retire bonds; to retire a note.
- The central bank retired those notes five years ago.
- (transitive) To cause to retire; specifically, to designate as no longer qualified for active service; to place on the retired list; as, to retire a military or naval officer.
- The board retired the old major.
- (transitive) (cricket) of a batsman, to voluntarily stop batting so that the next batsman can bat
- Jones retired in favour of Smith.
- (transitive) (baseball) of a fielder, to make a defensive play which results in a runner or the batter being put out
- Jones retired Smith 6-3.
- (intransitive) To go back or return; to draw back or away; to keep aloof; to withdraw or retreat, as from observation; to go into privacy; as, to retire to his home; to retire from the world, or from notice.
- I will to the study.''
- (intransitive) To retreat from action or danger; to withdraw for safety or pleasure; as, to retire from battle.
- The regiment retired from the fray after the Major was killed.
- (intransitive) To withdraw from a public station, from working, or from business
- Having made a large fortune, he retired.
- He wants to at 55.
- (intransitive) To recede; to fall or bend back; as, the shore of the sea retires in bays and gulfs.
- Past the point, the shore retires into a sequence of coves.
- (intransitive) To go to bed; as, he usually retires early.
- I will for the night.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for retire for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of retire