- A system of beliefs, including belief in the existence of at least one of the following: a human soul or spirit, a deity or higher being, or self after the death of one"s body.
Etymology: From religio, religiÅ, meaning "moral obligation" and "worship" < possibly religo, religÅ "tie back, fasten up" < prefix re- (back) + ligo, ligÅ (to tie).
- He couldn"t abide by any that didn"t allow for wrongdoers to be punished after death.
- A number of customs and rituals associated with such beliefs.
- When it comes to , she doesn"t believe, but she loves to attend the ceremonies.
- Anything that involves the association of people in a manner resembling a religious institution or cult.
- At this point, Star Trek has really become a .
- Any system or institution which one engages with in order to foster a sense of meaning or relevance in relation to something greater than oneself.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for religion for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of religion