- The act of stretching or extending; extension; power of reaching or touching with the person, or a limb, or something held or thrown.
verb (reach, es)
- The fruit is beyond my reach.
- to be within reach of cannon shot
- The power of stretching out or extending action, influence, or the like; power of attainment or management; extent of force or capacity.
- Extent; stretch; expanse; hence, application; influence; result; scope.
- (informal) An exaggeration; an extension beyond evidence or normal; a stretch.
- To call George eloquent is certainly a .
- (boxing) The distance a boxer's arm can extend to land a blow.
- An extended portion of land or water; a stretch; a straight portion of a stream or river, as from one turn to another; a level stretch, as between locks in a canal; an arm of the sea extending up into the land.
- (nautical) Any point of sail in which the wind comes from the side of a vessel.
Etymology: Old English ríÄan
- To extend; to stretch; to thrust out; to put forth, as a limb, a member, something held, or the like.
- Hence, to deliver by stretching out a member, especially the hand; to give with the hand; to pass to another; to hand over; as, to reach one a book.
- To attain or obtain by stretching forth the hand; too extend some part of the body, or something held by one, so as to touch, strike, grasp, or the like; as, to reach an object with the hand, or with a spear.
- To strike, hit, or tough with a missile; as, to reach an object with an arrow, a bullet, or a shell.
- Hence, to extend an action, effort, or influence to; to penetrate to; to pierce, or cut, as far as.
- To extend to; to stretch out as far as; to touch by virtue of extent; as, his hand reaches the river.
- To arrive at by effort of any kind; to attain to; to gain; to be advanced to.
- To understand; to comprehend.
- To stretch out the hand.
- To strain after something; to make efforts.
- To extend in dimension, time, amount, action, influence, etc., so as to touch, attain to, or be equal to, something.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for reach for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of reach