- Line or series of mountains.
- Large fuel-burning stove.
- Selection, array. Eg: A range of cars.
- Area used for shooting, artillery, etc.
- An area of open, often unfenced, grazing land.
- (mathematics) The set of values (points) which a function can obtain.
- (statistics) The length of the smallest interval which contains all the data. It is calculated by subtracting the smallest observations from the greatest.
- The distance to a target, or to the subject of discussion.
verb (ranges, ranging, ranged)
- We could see the ship at a range of five miles.
- (sports) (baseball) The defensive area that a player can cover.
- Jones has good for a big man.
- (music) Compass - The scale of all the tones a voice or an instrument can produce.
- (ecology) The geographical area or zone where a species is normally naturally found.
- (intransitive) (followed by over) To travel over (an area, etc) with a particular purpose.
- (intransitive) (mathematics, computing; followed by over) Of a variable, to be able to take any of the values in a specified range.
- The variable x ranges over all real values from 0 to 10.
- (transitive) classify
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for range for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of range