verb (prostitut, ing)
- A person who performs sexual activity for payment
- A person who is perceived as engaging in sexual activity with many people.
- A person who does, or offers to do, an activity for money, despite personal dislike or dishonour
- (context, transitive, usually reflexively) To perform sexual activity for money
- (transitive) To make another person, or organisation, prostitute themselves.
- From Latin prostitutum, past participle of prostituere, from prefix pro-, "for" or "before", + statuere (turns into -stituere with prefixes appended), "to set up or erect".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prostitute for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of prostitute