- Made up of various disparate elements mixed together; of disorderly composition.
Etymology: From promiscuus, from pro- + miscere "to mix".
- 1667: Came singly where he stood on the bare strand, / While the croud stood yet aloof " John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1, ll. 379-80
- Made without careful choice; indiscriminate.
- Indiscriminate in choice of sexual partners.
- (networking) The mode in which a w:Network card, NIC gathers all network traffic instead of getting only the traffic intended for it.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for promiscuous for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of promiscuous