proper noun (wikipedia, Alexander Pope)
- An English surname
- Alexander Pope, English poet
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Pope for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Pope
- (Christianity) The bishop of Rome; the head of the Roman Catholic church.
- (context, by extension) The head of any religion.
- 2007 May 5, Ted Koppel (guest), Wait, Wait... Don"t tell me!, National Public Radio
- : I really did want to interview the . Any . I'm not particular.
- (Eastern Christianity) The Bishop or Patriarch of Alexandria.
- usage: In Coptic Orthodox Church, Patriarch of Alexandria is normally styled as Pope Name, e.g. Pope Shenouda: In Eastern Orthodox Church, Patriarch of Alexandria is officially styled as Pope of Alexandria, but only in liturgy, official documents and intercessions, and not so addressed in daily conversations.
- A small Eurasian freshwater fish, Gymnocephalus cernua.
- Any of various birds having reddish plumage on the breast, especially the bullfinch.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pope for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pope