noun (collective and common noun; plural peoples)
- A body of human beings considered generally or collectively; a group of two or more persons.
- (plural peoples) A group of persons forming or belonging to a particular nation, class, ethnic group, country, family, etc; folk; community.
- A group of persons regarded as being employees, followers, companions or subjects of a ruler.
verb (peopl, ing)
- 1611, w:Old Testament, Old Testament, w:King James Version of the Bible, King James Version, 2 Samuel 8:15,
- : And David reigned over all Israel; and David executed judgment and justice unto all his .http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=Kjv2Sam.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=8&division=div1
- 1952, w:Old Testament, Old Testament, w:Revised Standard Version, Revised Standard Version, Thomas Nelson & Sons, 2 Samuel 8:15,
- : So David reigned over all Israel; and David administered justice and equity to all his .http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=Rsv2Sam.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=8&division=div1
- A person's ancestors, relatives or family.
- The mass of a community as distinguished from a special class (elite); the commonalty; the populace; the vulgar; the common crowd; the citizens.
- (plural of, perÅ¿on
- English, perÅ¿on, nodot=1) (i, an archaic alternative spelling of person
- English, person).
- (transitive) To stock with people or inhabitants; to fill as with people; to populate.
Etymology: Anglo-Norman, from Old French pople (French peuple, Spanish pueblo, from Latin populus, related to íeod/theod/peod/deod)
- "He would not be alone, who all things can; / But peopled heaven with angels, earth with man." " Dryden
- (intransitive) To become populous or populated.
- (transitive) To inhabit; to occupy; to populate.
- "As thick and numberless / As the gay motes that the sunbeams." " Milton
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for people for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of people