- A kind of bird, many species of which are colourful and able to mimic human speech.
- I bought a wonderful at the pet store.
verb (parrot, ing)
- 1855, w:Charles Dickens, Charles Dickens, s:Little Dorrit, Little Dorrit, Bk I, ch 33
- : Mrs Merdle was at home, and was in her nest of crimson and gold, with the on a neighbouring stem watching her with his head on one side, as if he took her for another splendid of a larger species.
- A parroter; a person who repeats what was just said.
- What kind of a are you? He just said that.
- 1837, w:Ralph Waldo Emerson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, s:The American Scholar, The American Scholar
- :In this distribution of functions, the scholar is the delegated intellect. In the right state, he is, Man Thinking. In the degenerate state, when the victim of society, he tends to become a mere thinker, or, still worse, the of other men"s thinking.
- (archaic) A puffin.
- (transitive) To repeat (exactly what has just been said) without necessarily showing understanding, in the manner of a parrot.
Etymology: First attested in 1525. From (term, perrotFrench, perrot), either a diminutive of Pierre or a shortened form of (term, perroquetFrench, perroquet). Compare French (term, pierrotFrench, pierrot) and Occitan (term, parratOccitan, parrat). A number of origins have been suggested for (term, perroquet), such as Spanish (term, periquitoSpanish, periquito) and Italian (term, parrochettoItalian, parrochetto). The relationship between these various words is disputed. Replaced earlier (term, popinjay).
- 1996, w:Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton, s:Presidential Radio Address - 15 June 1996, Presidential Radio Address (15 June)
- :So when political leaders the tobacco company line, say cigarettes are not necessarily addictive, and oppose our efforts to keep tobacco away from our children, they continue to cater to powerful interests, but they're not standing up for parents and children.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for parrot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of parrot