- A hard-shelled seed.
- A fastener: a piece of metal, usually square or hexagonal in shape, with a hole through it having machined internal threads, intended to be screwed onto a bolt or other threaded shaft.
- (informal) An insane person.
- (slang) The head.
- (context, vulgarity, slang, rarely used in the singular) A testicle.
- (context, US, slang) The amount of money necessary to set up some venture; set-up costs.
verb (nut, t, ed)
- 1971: My attorney was waiting in a bar around the corner. "This won't make the ," he said, "unless we have unlimited credit." " Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Harper Perennial 2005, p. 11)
- (musical instruments) On string instruments such as guitars and violins, the small piece at the peghead end of the fingerboard that holds the strings at the proper spacing and, in most cases, the proper height.
Etymology: From nute < hnutu. Cognate with Latin nux, Dutch noot, German Nuss, Icelandic hnut, Spanish nuez.
- (context, transitive, slang) To hit deliberately with the head; to headbutt.
- (context, intransitive, slang) To ejaculate (semen).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nut for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of nut