- To decrease the distance to something.
- (context, of an animate or inanimate object) physically close.
- (context, of an event) approaching
- The end is .
- Having a small intervening distance with regard to something.
- I'm sighted.
- (rfv-sense) Approaching the end.
- I'm completed.
- (colloquial) nearly
Etymology: Middle English from Old Norse nír
- 1666 Samuel Pepys Diary and Correspondence (1867)
- :...he hears for certain that the Queen-Mother is about and hath finished a peace with France....
- 1825 David Hume, Tobias George Smollett The History of England p. 263
- :Sir John Friend had very completed a regiment of horse.
- 2003 Owen Parry Honor's Kingdom p. 365
- :Thinking about those pounds and pence, I forgot my wound.
- 2004 Jimmy Buffett A Salty Piece of Land p. 315, p. 35
- :"I damn forgot." He pulled an envelope from his jacket.
- 2006 Juliet Marillier The Dark Mirror p. 377
- :The fire was almost dead, the chamber dark.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for near for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of near