- The thin, horny plate at the ends of fingers and toes on humans and some other animals.
- A spike-shaped metal fastener used for joining wood or similar materials. The nail is generally driven through two or more layers of material by means of impacts from a hammer or other device. It is then held in place by friction.
- One of the four round pedestals (the nails) in Bristol.
- An archaic English unit of length equivalent to 1/16th of a yard (2.25 inches).
- To employ a nail as a fastener to join objects together.
- (slang) catch.
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 261a.
- : we'll the sophist to it, if we can get him on that charge;
- (slang) expose as a sham.
- (slang) accomplish something completely and successfully.
- I really nailed that test.
- (slang) hit a target effectively with some weapon.
- (slang) engage in sexual intercourse.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nail for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of nail