noun (es, -)
verb (mosses, mossing, mossed)
- Any of various small green plants of the division Bryophyta (formerly class Musci).
- A clump or patch of such plants covering the ground or other surface.
- Any of various other non-related plants, algae, or fungi of a similar appearance.
- (intransitive) To become covered with moss.
Etymology: mos; akin to Anglo-Saxon meós, German moos, Old High German mos, mios, Icelandic mosi, Danish mos, Swedish mossa, Latin muscus.
- An oak whose boughs were mossed with age.
- (transitive) To cover (something) with moss.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for moss for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of moss