- One who takes action according to his religious beliefs accepting that he will be killed by others; one who is put to death for his religion; as, Stephen was the first Christian .
- Hence, one who sacrifices his life, his station, or what is of great value to him, for the sake of principle or to sustain a cause.
- (with a prepositional phrase of cause) One who suffers greatly.
- ''Stephen was a to arthritis.
- To put to death for adhering to, or acting in accordance with, some belief, especially religious; to sacrifice on account of faith or profession.
- To persecute; to torment; to torture.
Etymology: From martyrLatin, martyr < Ancient Greek (polytonic, ) (martyr), later form of (polytonic, ) (martys) "witness".
- The lovely Amoret, whose gentle heart
- Thou martyrest with sorrow and with smart. "Spenser
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for martyr for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of martyr