- a mechanical or electrical device that performs or assists in the performance of human tasks, or is used for amusement (like a pinball machine).
- the group that controls a political or similar organization.
- (archaic) a vehicle operated mechanically; an automobile.
- a person who seemingly acts like a machine, a person who is very proficient at a task.
verb (machines, machining, machined)
- Bruce Campbell was a "demon-killing machine" because he made quick work of killing demons.
- to make by machinery.
- to shape or finish by machinery.
Etymology: French and Old French , from latinized Greek machina, from w:Doric Greek, Doric Greek (makhana) (Ionic Greek mekhane) "machine, tool", from , (makhos, mekhos) "device, assistance, way".
- belonging to a machine
- made by a machine
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for machine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of machine