(wikispecies, Panthera leo)
- A large cat, Panthera leo, native to Africa, India and formerly to much of Europe. The term may apply to the species as a whole, to individuals, or to male individuals. It also applies to related species like mountain lions.
- (heraldiccharge): A stylized representation of a large cat, used on a coat of arms.
Etymology: From French, lion, from leoLatin, leo, (genitive: leonis). See talk page.
- The arms of the University of the West Indies are Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure an open Book proper bound Gules garnished Or on a Chief of the third a Lion passant guardant Erminois. Crest: A Pelican proper. (in other words a spotted lion lying down). See talk page.
- A Chinese foo dog.
- (idiomatic) An individual who shows strength and courage, attributes associated with the lion.
- It was said of Edward Plantaganet that 'he was a for pride and ferocity but a pard for inconstancy and changeableness, not keeping his word or promise but excusing himself with fair words'. 2003 Peter Armstrong & Angus McBride? Stirling Bridge & Falkirk 1297-98: William Wallace's Rebellion.
- A famous person.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lion for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of lion