- The state that precedes death and follows birth or conception.
- (biology) a status given to any entity including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, etc. " and sometimes viruses " having the properties of replication and metabolism.
- (philosophy) the essence of the manifestation and the foundation of the being.
- (phenomenology) the subjective and inner manifestation of the individual.
- (Christianity) the essence of God, its own revelation.
- The world in general; existence.
Etymology: From (term, lif, lÄf, lang=ang), from (Ger.)
- Man's on this planet has been marked by continual conflict.
- A worthwhile existence.
- He gets up early in the morning, works all day long " even on weekends " and hardly sees his family. That's no !
- Something which is inherently part of a person's existence, such as their job, their family, their loved one, etc.
- She's my love, my .
- (colloquial) A term of imprisonment of a convict until his or her death. More formally called a life sentence.
- The span of time during which an object operates.
- This light bulb is designed to have a particularly long .
- (term, , lÄbhom). Cognate with Dutch (term, lijf, , body), German (term, Leib, , body), Swedish (term, liv, , waist, life).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for life for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of life