- A written or pictorial statement which unjustly seeks to damage someone's reputation.
- (uncountable) The act or crime of displaying such a statement publicly.
verb (libels, British English libelling or American English libeling, British English libelled or American English libeled)
- Did Betty Bowers commit libel when she called President Bush a flaming homosexual on her website? http://www.bettybowers.com/isbushgay.html
- (transitive) To defame someone, especially in a manner that meets the legal definition of libel.
Etymology: From libelle, from libellus ("petition").
- He libelled her when he published that.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for libel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of libel