- Arrangement or relationship; layout; eg, the lay of the land.
- The direction a rope is twisted.
verb (lays, laying, laid)
- Worm and parcel with the ; turn and serve the other way.
- A casual sexual partner.
- A ballad or sung poem.
- (transitive) To place something down in a position of rest.
- (context, transitive, archaic) To cause to subside or abate.
- (transitive) To leave something somewhere.
- (transitive) To prepare (e.g., the groundwork, the table).
- (transitive) To install certain building materials, laying one thing on top of another (e.g. lay brick, lay flooring.)
- (transitive) To produce and deposit (an egg).
- (transitive) To have sexual intercourse with someone, especially in a casual manner.
- (context, intransitive, non-standard, or, colloquial) To lie.
- Non-professional, not being a member of an organized institution (e.g. scientific lay person).
- Not belonging to the clergy.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lay for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of lay