- A movement (usually involuntary) of the muscles of the face, particularly of the lips, with a peculiar expression of the eyes, indicating merriment, satisfaction, or derision, and usually attended by a sonorous and interrupted expulsion of air from the lungs.
Etymology: Anglo Saxon hleahtor; akin to Old High German hlahtar, German gelíchter, Icelandic hlítur, Danish latter.
- The act of , which is a sweet contraction of the muscles of the face, and a pleasant agitation of the vocal organs, is not merely, or totally within the jurisdiction of ourselves. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Browne Sir Thomas Browne
- Archly the maiden smiled, and with eyes overrunning with - http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wadsworth_Longfellow Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The sound produced by air so expelled.
- (slang) A decidedly one-sided sports contest, especially where the winning team is able to score at will.
- The final score of the football game was 70-0; what a laugher it was.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for laughter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of laughter