- A frame usually portable, of wood, metal, or rope, for ascent and descent, consisting of two side pieces to which are fastened cross strips or rounds forming steps.
- That which resembles a ladder in form or use; hence, that by means of which one attains to eminence, e.g. the corporate ladder.
- (firefighting) To ascend a building or wall using a ladder.
- 1998, John Norman, Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics http://books.google.com/books?id=hhsY_mL1H8YC, ISBN 0912212721, page 164:
- "A good working knowledge of the ladder parts, how they work, their capacities, and proper usage are a must before anyone is sent out to a building."
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ladder for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of ladder