Etymology: Unknown. Possibilities include:
- (slang) A check, checking or restrain, restraining element.
- From the caidhp bhíis, meaning death cap (the hood put on someone before they were hang, hanged to death).
- From the (Sco.) kye booties, meaning cow boots (the hobble put on cattle to prevent them from straying).
- From the (Hebr.) , kbsh meaning conquer press down
- Some connection with Turkish bosh "empty"
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for kibosh for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of kibosh