- The core, center, or essence of an object or system.
- A single seed or grain, especially of corn or wheat.
Etymology: From cyrnel, dimunitive of corn, seed
- (computing) The central part of many computer operating systems which manages the system's resources and the communication between hardware and software components.
- (context, US) The stone of certain fruits, such as peaches or plums.
- (mathematics) Those elements, in the domain of a function, which the function maps to zero.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for kernel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of kernel