- (slang) Jack Daniel's, a brand of American whiskey.
- (given name, male, , ) .
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Jack for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Jack
- A mechanical device used to raise and (temporarily) support a heavy object.
- car jack
- pneumatic jack
- (playing cards) The card ranking between the ten and queen of any suit, with a picture of a knave or prince on its face; often with value 11.
- A male ass.
- A socket for electrical, especially telecommunications, equipment.
- telephone jack
- (rfv-sense) One of many X-shaped metal structures.
- A target ball in bowls, etc; a jack-ball
- A small, six-pointed playing piece used in the game of jacks.
- (colloquial, short for jackshit) Nothing.
- (nautical)A small flag at the bow of a ship
- A coarse and cheap medieval coat of defense, especially one made of leather.
- 1786, The aketon, gambeson, vambasium, and jack were military vestments, calculated for the defence of the body, differing little from each other, except in their names, their materials and construction were nearly the same, the authorities quoted in the notes, shew they were all composed of many folds of linen, stuffed with cotton, wool or hair, quilted, and commonly covered with leather, made of buck or doe skin. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page 15.
- (two-up) A penny with a head on both sides, used for cheating. (Reference: Sidney J. Baker, The Australian Language, second edition, 1966, chapter XI section 3, page 243.)
- (slang) money
- A common name for the freshwater pike, green pike or pickerel
- Large California rockfish
- An order of marine fish in the Carangidae family
- (context, nautical, obsolete) A sailor. Also known as a jack tar.
- A term of familiar address.
- (transitive) To use a jack.
- He jacked the car up so that he could replace the brake pads.
- (transitive) (baseball) (slang) To hit the ball hard.
- Jones jacks it into the alley, clearing the bases.
- (transitive) (baseball) (slang) To hit a home run.
- (transitive) To steal.
- Someone jacked my car last night!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for jack for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of jack