verb (itch, es)
- A sensation felt on an area of the skin that causes a person or animal to tend to want to scratch.
- A desire or want.
- (intransitive) To feel the need to scratch.
- (intransitive) To want or desire.
- He started learning to drive and he has been itching for opportunities to practice ever since.
- (transitive) To cause to feel an itch.
- (context, transitive, colloquial) To scratch or rub so as to relieve an itch.
- 2002: M D Huddleston, Missing Paige
- :"What makes you suspect him?" Max asked as he itched his neck.
- 2003: Ray Emerson, The Riddle of Cthulhu
- :Ulysses thumped his side and itched his back side, then slipped into his car.
- 2004: Philip Smucker, Al Qaeda's Great Escape: The Military and the Media on Terror's Trail
- :But when we asked more about the famous man whose specter still commanded the heights, the guard just sneered at me, pointed his gun back toward the road with one hand, and itched his chin with the other.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for itch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of itch