- An arthropod in the class Insecta, characterized by six legs, up to four wings, and a chitinous exoskeleton.
Etymology: Latin insectum, past participle of insecare (to cut into) < secare cut
- Our shed has several infestions, including ants, yellowjackets, and wasps.
- (colloquial) Any small arthropod similar to an insect including spiders, centipedes, millipedes, etc
- The swamp is swarming with every sort of .
- A contemptible or powerless person.
- The manager's assistant was the worst sort of insect.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for insect for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of insect