- The power to affect, control or manipulate something or someone; the ability to change the development of fluctuate, fluctuating things such as conduct, thoughts or decisions; the status of being able to dictate the actions or behaviors of an object or person; moral or political power over a person or group; ascendancy.
verb (influenc, es)
- ''I have absolutely no over him.
- An action exerted by a person or thing with such power on another to cause change.
- I'm not able to exercise over him.
- A person or thing exerting such power or action.
- He has been a great on the voters during the elections.
- (astrology) An element believed by some to determine someone's character or individual tendency, tendencies, caused by the position of the stars and planets at the time of one's birth.
- (obsolete) The action of flowing in; influx.
- (electricity) electrostatic induction.
Etymology: Old and modern French influence, or from medieval Latin influentia, an astrological term, from influere "to flow into".
- (transitive) To affect by gentle action; to exert an influence upon; to modify, bias, or sway; to persuade or induce.
- (intransitive) Exert influence.
- (context, transitive, obsolete) Cause to flow in; infuse; instill.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for influence for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of influence