noun (plural: inflations)
- An act, instance of, or state of expansion or increase in size, especially by injection of a gas.
Etymology: From inflatio, expansion, noun of process from perfect passive participle inflatus, expanded or blown up, from verb inflare, blow into or expand, from in-, into, + flare, blow
- The of the balloon took five hours.
- Expansion in the money supply beyond the increase in available goods and services. Often misunderstood to mean a rise in prices, which generally accompanies such an expansion.
- The low level of the Federal Reserve Rate caused a great in the money supply that year, accompanied soon after by a general rise in prices.
- (context, cosmology) An extremely rapid expansion of the universe, theorised to have occurred very shortly after the big bang.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for inflation for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of inflation