- (archaic) A thing that is extremely holy; used almost exclusively in the context of the phrase "holy of holies".
adjective (holier, holiest)
- Franz von Reber, Joseph Thacher Clarke, History of Ancient Art (1882) p. 146:
- :The of holies, a cubical space of ten cubits on the side, was separated from the larger antechamber by four columns, which were also covered with gold and stood upon silver sockets; they bore a second curtain of four colors.
- Dedicated to a religious purpose or a god.
- To be revered according to a religion.
- To be perfect or flawless.
- Separted or set apart from something unto something or someone else.
- Set apart or dedicated for a specific purpose, or for use by a single entity or person.
- (slang): An intensifier in an interjection.
Etymology: Old English halig, compare German heilige
- Holy cow, I can"t believe he actually lost the race!
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for holy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of holy