- A tool with a heavy head and a handle used for pounding.
- A moving part of a firearm that strikes the firing pin to discharge a gun.
- (anatomy) The malleus.
- (music) In a piano or dulcimer, a piece of wood covered in felt that strikes the string.
- (sports) A device made of a heavy steel ball attached to a length of wire, and used for throwing.
- (curling) The last rock in an end.
- (context, Ultimate Frisbee) A frisbee throwing style in which the disc is held upside-down with a forehand grip and thrown above the head.
- To strike repeatedly with a hammer, some other implement, the fist, etc.
- (figuratively) To emphasize a point repeatedly.
- (sports) To hit particularly hard.
- To strike internally, as if hit by a hammer.
Etymology: Old English hamor < Germanic
- I could hear the engine"s valves hammering once the timing rod was thrown.
- hamara-. Cognate with Dutch hamer, German Hammer, Swedish hammare.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hammer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hammer