- (British) An effigy of w:Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes burned on Bonfire Night
Etymology: Old French form of Germanic Wido, a short form of names beginning with the element witu "wood", such as Witold and Widukind.
- (given name, male).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Guy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Guy
- A support cable used to guide, steady or secure something.
- (intransitive) To exhibit an effigy of Guy Fawkes around the 5th November.
- (transitive) To make fun of, to ridicule with wit or innuendo.
- 2003: Swift and other satirists mercilessly guyed the unlettered self-importance of the peddlars of such soul-food, exposing their humility and self-laceration as an egregious and obnoxious form of self-advertisement (s'excuser, c'est s'accuser). " Roy Porter, Flesh in the Age of Reason (Penguin 2004, p. 278)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for guy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of guy