noun (es, -)
verb (grass, es)
- (context, countable, uncountable) Any plant of the family Poaceae, characterized by leaves that arise from nodes in the stem, wrap around it for a distance, and leave, especially those grown as ground cover rather than for grain.
- A lawn.
- (context, slang, uncountable) marijuana, Marijuana.
- (slang) An informer, police informer; one who betrays a group (of criminals, etc) to the authorities.
- (transitive) To lay out on the grass; to knock down (an opponent etc.).
Etymology: grís, from (Ger.), from the same (PIE.) root as grow and green.
- 1893, Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Naval Treaty", Norton 2005, p.709:
- :He flew at me with his knife, and I had to him twice, and got a cut over the knuckles, before I had the upper hand of him.
- (context, transitive, or, intransitive, slang) To act as a grass or informer, to betray; to report on (criminals etc) to the authorities.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for grass for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of grass