- A heavy yellow elemental metal of great value, with atomic number 79 and symbol Au.
- (countable) A coin made of this material, or supposedly so.
- (countable) A bright yellow colour, resembling the metal gold.
- <table><tr><td>gold colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- FFD700" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (countable) The bullseye of an archery target.
- (countable) A gold medal.
- France has won three golds and five silvers.
- (figuratively) Anything or anyone considered to be very valuable.
Etymology: Old English goldOld English, gold, from Germanic
- Made of gold.
- Having the colour of gold.
- gulí-. Cognate with Dutch goud, German Gold, Swedish guld.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gold for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of gold