verb (glides, gliding, glid, glid or glidden)
(glides, gliding, glided or (archaic) glode, glided or (archaic) glode)
- The act of gliding.
- (linguistics) semivowel, Semivowel
- (fencing) An attack or preparatory movement made by sliding down the opponent"s blade, keeping it in constant contact.
Etymology: Old English glidan, glÄdan, from West Germanic. Cognate with Dutch glijden, German gleiten.
- (intransitive) To move softly, smoothly, or effortlessly.
- (intransitive) To fly unpowered, as of an aircraft.
- (transitive) To cause to glide.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for glide for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of glide