- A short, sudden intake of breath.
- The audience gave a of astonishment
- : A draw or drag on a cigerette (or gasper).
- I'm popping out for a .
- (intransitive): To draw in the breath suddenly, as if from a shock.
Etymology: Akin to Old Norse geispa
- The audience gasped as the magician dissapeared
- (intransitive): To breath laboriously or convulsively.
- We were all gasping when we reached the summit
- (transitive): To speak in a breathless manner
- The old man gasped his last few words
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gasp for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of gasp