- One who founds, establishes, and erects; one who lays a foundation; an author; one from whom something originates; one who endows.
- The iron worker in charge of the blast furnace and the smelting operation.
- 1957: The term 'founder' was applied in the British iron industry long afterwards to the ironworker in charge of the blast furnace and the smelting operation. — H.R. Schubert, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry, p. 161.
- Fill with water and sink.
- 1719: w:Daniel Defoe, Daniel Defoe, w:Robinson Crusoe, Robinson Crusoe
- : We were not much more than a quarter of an hour out of our ship but we saw her sink, and then I understood for the first time what was meant by a ship foundering in the sea.
- To fall; to stumble and go lame, as a horse.
- To fail; to miscarry.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for founder for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of founder