- (countable, Anatomy) The part of a human"s body below the ankle. Used to stand and walk.
- (countable, Zoology) The equivalent part of an animal"s body.
- (countable) The bottom of anything; as, the foot of the stairs, the foot of a printed page.
- (countable) A short projection on the bottom of a piece of equipment to support it.
- (countable) A unit of measure equal to twelve inches and one third of a yard, equal to exactly 30.48 centimetres.
- (context, countable, prosody) The basic measure of rhythm in a poem.
- (countable, nautical) The bottom edge of a sail.
- To make the mainsail fuller in shape, the outhaul is eased to reduce the tension on the of the sail.
- Printing. the bottommost part of a type page or printed page
- (used with the plural verb) foot soldiers; infantry.
Etymology: fÅt from Germanic
- (transitive) To use the foot to kick (usually a ball).
- (transitive) To pay (a bill).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for foot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of foot