- First Outer Inner Last, the abbreviation for one algorithm for processing the multiplication of multiple binomials
- Example: (2x + 4) × (4x + 3y)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for FOIL for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of FOIL
noun (countable except as indicated; plural foils)
- A very thin sheet of metal.
- (uncountable) Thin aluminium/aluminum (or, formerly, tin) used for wrapping food.
- A thin layer of metal put between a jewel and its setting to make it seem more brilliant.
- (figurative) In literature, theatre/theater, etc, a character who helps emphasize the traits of the main character.
- (figurative) Anything that acts to emphasise the characteristics of something.
- (fencing) A very thin sword with a blunted (or foiled) tip
- A thin, transparent plastic material on which marks are made and projected for the purposes of presentation. See transparency.
- Shortened form of hydrofoil.
- Shortened form of aerofoil/airfoil.
- To prevent (something) from being accomplished.
- (mathematics) To multiply two binomials together.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for foil for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of foil