- A brightly burning light used to attract attention in an emergency, or to illuminate an area.
verb (flar, ing)
- The flares steered the traffic away from the accident.
- A widening of the lower legs of trousers and jeans.
- That's a genuine early '70's on those pants.
- (aircraft) The transition from downward flight to level flight just before landing.
- The captain executed the perfectly, and we lightly touched down.
- (baseball) A low fly ball that is hit in the region between the infielders and the outfielders
- Jones hits a little to left that falls for a single.
- (intransitive): To blaze brightly.
- The blast furnace flared in the night.
- (intransitive): To burn unsteadily.
- (intransitive): To burst out suddenly, as in anger (often with up or out.)
- The insult made him up.
- (transitive): to make flare.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for flare for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of flare