- (uncountable) extreme shortage of food in a region
Etymology: From French, famine.
- 1971, Central Institute of Research & Training in Public Cooperation
- :Dr. Bhatia pointed out that had occurred in all ages and in all societies where means of communication and transport were not developed.
- (countable) a period of extreme shortage of food in a region
- 1986, United States Congress, House Select Committee on Hunger, Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Africa, Famine and Recovery in Africa
- :The root causes of the current are known: poverty, low health standards....
- During times of
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for famine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of famine